Tuesday, August 4, 2015

To Do. To Bring.

I have a list of what needs to be done before leaving, and another list of what to bring.  Everybody has their personal needs.  For instance, if you have a pet, there will be considerations that I don't even address.  These lists work for me, and they get tweaked for every trip.


Before leaving:


Find accommodation
Book flight
Lease car
Call credit cards to advise of travel status
Call mobile phone company to stop paying phone when not using it
Photocopy credit cards, passport, driver's licence, and keep copies separate
Find house sitter
Cancel newspapers



When packing I always line the waist of my pants and capris to the middle of the suitcase and hang the legs on either side.  I stack my folded clothes in the middle then wrap the legs over the clothes. 












The pants arrive without wrinkles, ready to wear.


What to bring:

GENERAL
Passport
Airline ticket/Boarding Pass
Money (Canadian & Euros)
Credit card/Debit card
Car lease contract
GPS - Marge
Health Insurance
House key
Notebook, pen, pencil
Accordion Address book
Cheque book
Calculator
Fan (hand / battery operated)
Black backpack (my purse)
Shopping bags for markets
Mini flashlight
France travel book

TECHIE
Camera/Memory card/Batteries
Battery recharger/Camera booklet
Earphones for plane
European Plug converter
Kobo and recharger
Laptop/recharger/adapter
iPad and recharger

TOILETRIES
Toothbrush
Mini toothpaste
Splinthe
Dental floss
Polident tablets
Toothpicks
Q-tips
Day and Night creams
Comb/Brush
Shampoo/Rinse
Mousse/gel
Nail polish
Nail polish remover pads
Nail file
Pedicure file
Mini hand lotion
Sunscreen
Make-up
Make-up remover and pads
Facecloths
Scissors
Tweezers
Perfume
Curling Iron
Blow Dryer
Mirror
Watch
Costume jewellery
Tissues
Gum/Mints
Drinking water bottle
Sleeping Mask
Sunglasses
Reading glasses

MEDS
Prescriptions
Antacids
Band-aids
Polysporin
Eye Drops
Hand sanitizer

MISC
Knife (for picnics).  Be sure to pack in suitcase, not carry-on!

CLOTHES
Hooded windbreaker
Hat
Walking Sandals
Dress Sandals
Closed walking shoe
Slippers
Scarves
Bathing suit



Carry on bag.
I use the same technique of folding pants over my clothes for the carry-on bag. This bag carries an extra set of clothes for the first day in Europe.  If Air Canada should lose my main checked-in bag, then I at least have two sets of clothes to wear, and my shoes.
Purse

My purse is actually a small nylon backpack which I carry with me everywhere.  Very useful to carry a bottle of water, a scarf if it gets windy, a hat, camera, and anything I might need for a day trip.


Total bags for 2 months



I think I’m ready to go.  If I’ve forgotten anything, it’ll be a great opportunity to go shopping!  After all, France has such a variety of everything and offers quality products that are a pleasure to try.

Next posting from France!

 




4 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!
    Thank you Marguerite for the List To Bring. No need to make my own.
    But"Drinking water bottle" is not allowed by TSA rules....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Iouri. I am referring to an empty water bottle that I refill as needed.

      Delete
  2. okay, pills, clothes, extras and no Karl What gives??
    Also you forgot the valise that carries me.
    Hope you have the best of time and be careful, will eagerly be awaiting your posts daily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Karl is coming along. He has been carrying my luggage for almost 40 years! Do get your passport in order and come for a visit. There is a bed waiting just for you!

      Delete